5.21.2014

Watch. Listen. Read. 04

Watch
Game of Thrones- The season has really started picking up the last two episodes. Have you seen the most recent episode called Mockingbird? Peter Dinklage deserves an Emmy. Overall, I am kind of frustrated with the overt sex in the show; the books taper this off as they progress but HBO adds extra, unnecessary scenes. (This is my issue with every HBO series though.)
House of Cards- Upon the recommendation of my friend Ross, we've started watching this Netflix original. Still in the first season and I find myself intrigued but also repulsed. I think that is what they are going for.
[Our TV died last night so this category might be a bit empty next month.]

Listen
Coldplay's Ghost Stories. This album really hearkens back to the reason I loved Coldplay in the first place. If you Google it, you'll find a ton of articles claiming Gwyneth's haunting over the album. Whatever the reason, I am so very pleased with this album, specifically "O."


Read
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden- This book is detailed and quite visual, slow at times with a ridiculous ending. I am happy to have read it and just as happy to have finished it.
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd- I normally do not enjoy novels that take place in Charleston, but Kidd carries the story rather well so that I was not uncomfortably fact checking nor was I overly visualizing the Charleston-I-live-in. The Grimké sisters' story was new to me and, though it dragged a bit toward the end, was a fascinating tale. I do believe Kidd could have expanded the story a bit where it seemed rushed. (I wanted to enter the abolitionist scene in Boston and throughout New England so much more. We basically skip over all northern cultural elements in the book aside from the Quakers.)


Up next: The Stories of Eva Luna, a few summer blockbuster films and Mad Men finale!


No comments:

Post a Comment