9.03.2014

Watch. Listen. Read 07


Watch
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World:
I really, really loved this film. It is definitely sad (hello, end of the world) but the storyline and dialogue were not over-the-top cheesy or dramatic. The plot was actually less about "the end" than it was a look at one guy and how he dealt with certain doom. (Spoiler alert: It was handled quietly.) Please watch this film for the ending scene alone: beautifully written and flawlessly acted.

Guardians of the Galaxy:
This is definitely the summer blockbuster of 2014; you know it has to be great if I am saying this about a movie starring Vin Diesel. This is one of my favorite Marvel movies so far. Fun characters (a tree! a raccoon! and a StarLord!), intriguing plot development, surprisingly great dialogue. 

.......


Listen
Mostly I am listening to the jabbering of a 16-month-old but occasionally I remember to turn on my old faithful iTunes Radio or Pandora stations. When I listen to this awesome mix, my heart is happy.

.......

Read
Delicious! by Ruth Reichl
Reichl's first fictional novel contains a few engaging characters and mouth-watering descriptions of food. But the plot seems to kinda die out towards the end into what seemed like an editor-driven ending rather than the natural story of the novel. I would have liked to see where the characters ended up when pushed into difficult spaces. I am not not recommending this book, just know the characters and the food are the most compelling elements.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children & Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
My mum and I used to search thrift stores and flea markets for old photos. One in particular was hung on our fridge and we claimed them as relatives. When I heard about the premise of Riggs' YA books, I was enthralled. Taking existing, old photographs and tying them into his story, Riggs weaves a tale of adventure, fantasy and suspense for young audiences. (It also helps I am a big fan of his first name.)

The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Overrated. The dialogue is far too advanced- pedantic, even- especially since we know from June's reading Green is capable of better dialogue. The subject matter is definitely intense and moving. I am not giving up on Green, but this one is not going down as a recommendation.

Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
The 8th novel was not my favorite in this series. The story moves away from one of my favorite characters (like Fergus) and focuses too much on newer characters (like Dottie and Dr. Hunter). The British evacuation from Philadelphia seemed laborious and convoluted and I STILL cannot figure out why she killed off one of her youngest characters. I still love Claire and Jamie but I wonder how much longer Gabaldon is going to take this story. This book ended like it could be the final novel, but she seems to not be finished.

Up next: Dr. Who. (I am SO late to this party, but so glad I came.)

No comments:

Post a Comment