2.27.2015

A [Quick] Pennsylvania Winter; or, The Delight of a Heated Blanket

 

As a part of the Loy "we are about to have another baby and may never leave the house again" Adventures, August and I flew to Pennsylvania to visit with our friends, the Unverzagts. Although Emily and I grew up together in Orlando, Florida, neither of our families still live there. Emily, her husband and three boys live in Grove City now; any chance to see them is a sweet blessing.


We visited the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburg our first day and found the cafe warm, the orchids welcoming and the Gold Rush train display mesmerizing. I was thankful to have extra eyes on August as he wandered (or ran) around to the different rooms. Josiah, the oldest, was particularly helpful in directing August back to our crew.


August revelled in having three big brothers and all of the attention. I drank warm tea and coffee with slippers on and watched as Emily balanced the diverse demands of motherhood (including homeschooling and tutoring). The temperatures were in the negatives most nights so when Casey retired for the evening while Emily and I stayed up to talk, he turned on the heated blanket on my bed. Crawling into a pre-warmed bed when snow is on the ground is one of my new winter favorites.


We woke one morning to falling snow and August watched from the window pointing to the "snow!" When the temperatures rose to 18 degrees, we ventured to the backyard for snow pictures. August was a bit off balance in his loaner snow suit. After a few wobbly falls, he was done with the cold and ready to be on warm, steady ground again.


Casey watched the boys one night (I was impressed!) so that Emily and I could get away for a dinner at the brewery in Slippery Rock. The uninterrupted conversation, warm food and celebratory music was a personal highlight. We love our sons but eating a complete meal without running to the kitchen for something or prompting the boys to eat felt indulgent. We later started the BBC mini-series Bleak House. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy from the library to finish it. (Mr. Widmore is in it too! Does anyone else get excited when Lost actors pop up here and there? No, just me? Okay...)

Thank you for taking such good care of us, Unverzagts! We love you guys and can't wait to have you here in June!



No comments:

Post a Comment