6.16.2014

DIY Big Phrase Art on Wooden Panel

Deuteronomy 6: 6-9 Write these commandments that I’ve given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates. (The Message)
I doubt the Historic Society would appreciate it if I painted Scripture on the gates of downtown Charleston. I doubt I would read the words if they were on the doorframe of my front door (since I rarely use it). But I do not doubt the wisdom in surrounding ourselves with Scripture to help the words sink deep within us. 

I am in love with any handwritten lettering especially when it is turned into BIG art. I made this one for August's nursery last year and have been wanting to do something ever since. Inspired* by this incredible sign, I decided to use the same idea to make Scripture art for the home. 

Supplies:
wooden panel (any size)
white paint
black paint
2-3" paint brush
small (¼") paint brush, angled if possible
pencil

1. Select your scripture or phrase. (Mine is Psalm 16:6)

2. Paint front, sides and back of wooden board with white paint. You will likely need two coats for the front of your board.
3. While that is drying, plan out your phrase on scrap paper. My phrase has 39 letters and my board fit 6 letters across. I did not want spaces between words and I knew I wanted seven rows of script so I adjusted the letter height accordingly. 
4. After the white paint is completely dry, pencil in your letters. 
5. (Optional) I wanted a practice run with a lighter paint so I selected a thin paintbrush and did a quick trace of the pencilled letters.
6. Starting with your middle row and using your angled brush, trace your letters with black paint. Work your way down and up from the middle row to ensure the bottom of your art is not too crowded or too spacey. The black paint will be much thicker than your pencil strokes so be sure to step back and keep an eye on the whole board.

7. Wipe most of the paint out of your brush on your palette. When the letters are mostly dry, retrace the letters to smear a bit of the paint and achieve the handwritten, less perfect look.

8. Attach a ribbon or wire with staples or hooks for hanging. Or prop it on a table or bookshelf.

Note: It is a good idea to use a sealant to prevent damage to your sign, especially if it will be outside.



Of course, this would be a fun DIY with any phrase. Try it for your favorite song lyrics, wedding vows, movie quotes, pet names. Limitless possibilities! I think I'll try white paint on black poster board next.

If you try this, let me know! I'd love to hear what kinds of phrases you use.


[*Please note: Originality in art is important to me. I am by no means trying to steal or discredit the creativity and art of The House of Belonging. I am receiving no monetary gain from this post.]

No comments:

Post a Comment